Before addressing roofing problems you need to know the types of roofing issues
Your roof takes the brunt of harsh weather and protects your most important assets. The roofing system is designed in such a way that it can endure all forms of weather. But over time the impacts of unfavorable weather begin to show in the form of roof leaks, cracks, missing shingles, or other damages. Often the damage is hard to detect until it gets worse. That is why regular maintenance checks are extremely important. For protecting your roof you must know the common roofing problems that you might encounter and ways to spot them. So here is a list of different types of roofing problems.
- A leaky roof is the most common problem that all homeowners have to suffer at some point. Hail storms or winds have the potential to develop holes in the roofing system. Roof holes are common in areas with frequent rainfalls or wind storms. Several factors are responsible for roof leaks including, damaged sheathing and cracked shingles. Roof leaks occur around gutters, near chimneys, vent pipes, under shingles, and in low spots.
Roof leaks can be detected by the presence of water stains on the ceiling or damp walls. Catching and repairing the problem early can prevent further damage. So have your roofing system regularly checked by a professional roofer before the damage gets irreparable.
Snow And Ice Damage
- Ice and snow are some of the culprits behind roof damage. They cause significant damage by melting into water that is later absorbed by the shingles. When the temperature drops down the water beneath the shingles freezes back into ice, thereby, pushing the shingles and lifting them upwards. This results in the formation of larger gaps that allow more water to enter which refreezes into ice. Thus repeating the whole process that ultimately leads to roof damage which calls for roof replacement. This is common in winters, especially in unmaintained roof systems.
The only way to avoid this is to schedule roof inspection and maintenance at the beginning of fall and spring. This saves you from inconvenient situations that require emergency repairs.
- Roofing material is susceptible to shrinkage. Shrinkage acts as a host to several other issues such as cracking, deterioration, etc. Shrinkage can also pull flashings apart. It can affect all sorts of roofs but roofs covered with EPDM are particularly liable to shrinkage.
Cracks, blisters, and ridges are formed in roofs with wear and tear. The type of roof installed determines whether or not there are chances of blisters or crack development. Built-up roofs in which several layers cover a flat surface are vulnerable to cracking and blistering.
- Inexperienced roofers who lack the skill and ability can cost you bulks in the long term. Roofs installed in a sleazy manner can result in complications such as the growth of mold and a reduced life span.
Different types of roofing materials are available. Always use thick and moisture-resistant forms of roofing that can prevent damage.
Damage By Trees
- If you have a tree in your yard that reaches up to the roof your roof might be in danger. Tree limbs can crash onto the roof due to strong winds thereby breaking the shingles. The rubbing of branches against the roof can get the better of the top layer by scratching it on daily basis. It is rather wise to trim the long branches of the trees around your house.
Repairing roofs can be tricky and dangerous especially if you are untrained. So it’s best to call a roofing specialist. Professionals at Simple Home Improvements can take care of your worries. Give us a call at 877-425-5518 for all sorts of affordable and reliable Roofing Services. We are located in New Jersey.