Is it time to replace your old siding? Here’s what you need to know
Siding protects a home from inclement weather, pests, and debris and insulates it against heat and cold. Siding replacement is usually the most overlooked part of a home improvement project. However, high-quality and well-functioning siding is essential for your home’s energy efficiency and integrity. Here are five signs that indicate it’s time to replace your old siding.
Rot And Decay
- Siding increases your property’s value and protects it from the elements, thereby keeping your home and family safe. But, if your siding begins to crumble, it fails to perform its vital role. Superficial damage can be easily tackled by repairing the affected area.
However, once the rot spreads across the exterior, there’s nothing you can do, and siding replacement becomes inevitable. When you replace your siding, go for a rot-resistant material such as vinyl. Vinyl siding is naturally resistant to decay and rot. It is durable and remains intact even after prolonged exposure to harsh elements.
Presence Of Cracks And Holes
- Gaps and cracks between the siding look unsightly and jeopardize the integrity of your home. Furthermore, they impact the appearance and compromise a home’s sale value. Cracks allow moisture to penetrate through the siding.
As moisture enters the home, so do the insects and pests. Thus, resulting in wood rot and other potential problems. Therefore, it is crucial to replace the siding when cracks and gaps appear on its surface.
Bulged Or Warped Panels
- Even if visible signs of damage are not present, if you feel drafts near walls, take a closer look and inspect your siding from multiple angles. Bulged or warped panels are looming hazards that are hidden out of view.
Bulged panels indicate severe damage beneath the siding and should not be left unaddressed. Call the pros and seek a quick consultation if you notice bulging in the siding panels. Siding experts can diagnose the problem and provide appropriate solutions based on your budget.
Signs Of Moisture Buildup
- Rot, mold, and mildew are some imminent damage signs. When you notice these signs, examine the condition of your siding. If damaged siding is to blame, don’t hesitate to call the professionals for help. Mold and fungus begin to grow wherever they find moisture.
Observe the seams of your siding closely; this is where the mold usually grows. Although not all instances of fungus growth are cause for alarm, it is better to have it investigated. The siding experts will help you determine whether you need to update the siding, add insulation, or do both.
It Looks Unattractive
- Over time the siding loses its color and becomes unattractive to look at. This is an indicator that the waterproofing membrane of the siding has expired. Of course, your siding is not suddenly useless; however, it is an excellent time to consider the upgrades.
Choose Low-Maintenance Vinyl Siding
- Carelessness begins to take a toll on your siding when the maintenance of exterior siding is overlooked due to lack of time or energy. Therefore, the best way to avoid costly investments is to choose a low-maintenance vinyl siding option. Unlike other sidings, vinyl siding does not need to be refinished every few years.
In addition, its maintenance and cleaning are pain-free tasks. It can be easily cleaned with a hose. Moreover, you have various options to choose from. Select from a wide range of colors and textures to dramatically transform the look of your home.
If you’re looking for reliable siding contractors in New Jersey, contact Simple Home Improvements at 866-849-2599. Our experts will provide a free in-home estimate and offer guidance to help you make the best choice for your home.