Storm doors are considered an underrated upgrade, but they offer several benefits. They provide extra protection by keeping the elements out, preventing break-ins, and improving energy efficiency. Make the best selection for your home by understanding the pros and cons of installing a storm door.
Pros Of Installing A Storm Door
- Storm doors act as a second outer door and provide additional comfort and protection. Let’s explore some incredible benefits of a storm door.
Optimal Air Circulation
- Storm doors have retractable screen panels which allow optimal air circulation. For homes such as townhouses, storm doors are an excellent solution because these homes do not have a lot of windows distributed throughout the property.
The front door can be left open in homes with a storm door. This allows natural light to enter your home. In addition to creating a bright and welcoming space, storm doors also improve the air quality.
Protection Of Exterior Door
- Another significant advantage of installing a storm door is that it protects your exterior door from harsh elements. An entry door is a valuable investment that plays an essential role in enhancing the curb appeal of your property. It should be kept in excellent condition for as long as possible.
A storm door can protect your entry door from rain, hail, snow, and other elements. This reduces the maintenance expenses and increases the durability of the entry door. In addition, storm doors come with a built-in lock.
Enhanced Energy Efficiency
- When it comes to energy efficiency, storm doors can benefit you by acting as a barrier against summer heat and winter cold. As reported by the U.S. Department of Energy, storm doors can decrease energy loss by up to 50%. This allows you to save up on electricity bills.
With storm doors, you can take advantage of the nice weather by installing screens that provide excellent ventilation. Storm doors with full glass panels allow you to watch the outside view. These glass panels can also be replaced with a full screen whenever you want.
Reduction In The Outside Noise
- Another plus point about storm doors is that they offer noise reduction. They act as a barrier between external noises and your home. This reduces the intensity of outdoor noises entering your home. Storm doors are particularly useful for homes that are located near highways, railways, schools, and other such noisy areas.
Adds Value to your Property
- Storm doors add value to your property by increasing safety, durability, energy efficiency, and ventilation. This is especially advantageous for homeowners who wish to sell their property.
Cons Of Installing A Storm Door
- Although the benefits of storm doors outweigh the inconveniences, there are a few disadvantages that you should know as well. So keep the following points in mind before installing a storm door.
Cons Of Installing A Storm Door
The presence of a storm door can cause slight inconvenience in getting in and out of the house. For example, when carrying a bag of groceries, you will have to open and close two doors at a time. This may become bothersome for homeowners.
- Storm doors with glass panels can trap heat. Prolonged sun exposure in such cases can cause damage to the front door. This is especially true if your porch receives several hours of direct sunlight daily.
Add an extra layer of security by installing a storm door in your home. Simple Home Improvements provides custom-built storm doors to enhance your living environment. Call us at 866-849-2599. We’ll explain different options and provide a free estimate. Visit us in Totowa, NJ.