Here are some valuable tips to prepare your roof for summer to avoid leaks and damage caused by heavy rains and windstorms
The roofing systems are designed in such a way that they can endure all forms of weather. But over time, the impacts of unfavorable weather begin to show in the form of roof leaks, cracks, or other damages. However, taking the necessary measures beforehand can save you from all the hassle. Here are a few practical tips that can help prepare your roof for summer and prevent potential leaks and damage from heavy rainfalls and wind storms.
Keep Gutters And Downspouts Clear
- Gutters play a substantial role in keeping your roof durable and resilient against water damage. Thoroughly inspect gutters and downspouts, especially after heavy rains. Clear away the accumulated debris, fallen leaves, or any buildups. This helps prevent rainwater from seeping into the fascia and the roof’s sheathing.
In addition, examine gutters for signs of tears or damage. Over time, rust builds up in the trenches, interfering with water flow. If you notice any defects, get them repaired right away to prevent costly repairs later.
Waterproof Your Roof
- When preparing your roof for summer, the location you live in and the type of weather you experience matters a lot. If you live in a wet, humid climate or near the ocean, then getting a waterproof coating on your roof can be a significant step. The waterproof coating helps protect your roof against moisture damage by preventing water from seeping into your home through cracks and crevices.
Check The Seals Of Skylights
- Skylights are an excellent way to allow natural light into your home. However, if the seal degrades, it can become a vulnerability. Broken seals can lead to water penetration which inflicts serious damage to the roof and increase the risk of mold growth. Ensure that all seals are watertight before the start of the rainy season.
If debris is around the seal, remove it with a vacuum cleaner or dust brush. As a next step, check for gaps between panes and adjacent glass panels. Ideally, you should get them professionally inspected at least once a year.
Seal Nesting Spots
- If there are any open areas in your eaves, have them repaired as soon as possible. These spots can provide the optimum environment for rodents and birds to nest. Rodents can eat holes in the insulation or cause damage to shingles and other roofing materials. In addition, the waste of birds and rodents produces slow-releasing chemicals that degrade the roof materials with time.
Furthermore, small rodents can burrow through the roof or chew electrical insulations, thereby leading to costly repairs. Raccoons, squirrels, and other rodents can chew through roofing and leave a trail of roofing devastation. If you suspect any potential nesting spots or notice signs of damage, call in a roofing expert to seal nesting areas for you.
Professional Roof Inspection
- While you may be motivated to perform the roof inspection all by yourself, it is a job best left to professionals. Always put your safety first and hire professional roofers to have a look at your roof and perform necessary repairs before the summer begins. Often the damage is hard to detect until it gets worse. That is why regular maintenance checks are critical.
Professional roofers have the tools and expertise to identify issues and make needed repairs. In addition, they follow best practices for job site safety, including the use of fall protection and safety gear. Make sure the roofers you hire are licensed and insured. Keeping abreast of minor problems and scheduling regular maintenance checks can save you from the trouble of major repairs.
If you need roofing experts, contact Simple Home Improvements. Our experts will help you with all your roofing repair and maintenance needs. Call us at 877-425-5518. We are located in New Jersey.