Learn several strategies for fixing hail damage to the roof by reading below
Residential buildings that experience heavy storms are susceptible to hail damage. The impact of hailstones is enough to crack shingles. Once the shingles are cracked, they are exposed to potential water damage. Therefore, it is crucial to identify the signs that help fixing hail damage to the roof.
- After the hailstorm stops, the first thing to do is to access the location and degree of damage. If you are familiar with the signs of hail damage, it would be easier to determine whether the damage needs professional inspection and repair. The extent of hail damage to the roof dramatically affects the cost and duration of repairs.
Identifying Damage To Roof
- Depending on the wind speed, even the smallest hailstones of ¾ inches can cause damage to a roof. However, this damage may not be noticeable to the untrained eye and may need a professional inspection. However, more significant shingle damage and bruising occur when the diameter of hailstones exceeds one inch or more.
Severe damage occurs when hailstones are larger than two inches and are accompanied by high-speed wind. In addition, when you notice loose granules on a shingle, keep in mind that the integrity of the shingle has been compromised. Over time this would lead to more significant damage and mold growth.
Steps For Spotting Hail Damage
Here is a step-by-step guide to identifying hail damage.
- Start by inspecting gutters and downspouts for the signs of hail damage. It is important to remember that it is not just the roof affected by the hail damage; different parts of the roof and surrounding areas can also show signs of wear. Sometimes siding and window frames are also affected by hailstorms, so keep an eye out.
In case of a heavy storm, you will notice dents on the gutters and downspouts. Observe dents and minor dings on the window frames, outdoor air conditioner units, and any exposed metal surfaces. Painted surfaces like decks may show signs of impact in the form of chipped paint.
- Sometimes the signs of hail damage to the roof are visible in the form of loose granules. You may notice exposed roof felt, cracks in the roof, and random damage without any distinguishable cause or color. Look for dents or chips on the roof vents, chimneys, skylights, and other features.
Damages may be specific depending on the material. Hail hits that are black and soft to the touch will be seen on asphalt and composition shingles. If the shingles are made of wood, hail damage will result in brown or orange splits in the wood.
- After performing the initial inspection of your roof call a professional roofer to determine the extent of the hail damage. Most roofing companies offer free professional inspections.
A general contractor should be able to determine the severity of the damage and suggest appropriate measures for fixing hail damage to the roof.
- For homes that have a shingled roof, you have the option to either replace the individual shingles or repair an entire area. When only a few shingles are damaged, remove and replace them with the new ones.
This is an ideal solution when you have recently installed a new roof. If the damage is centered on one area of the roof, partial reroofing is the economical option. However, when most or all of the shingles are damaged, it is wise to opt for an entire roof replacement.
- Homeowners who may have gone through the havoc of a hailstorm understand the damages it causes to their roofs. Unfortunately, the damage often goes unnoticed until the affected roof components lead to major roofing problems. We have discussed multiple techniques to identify hail damage. Here is how to fix and prevent hail damage.
Fixing Hail Damage To The Roof
- Following a storm, homeowners need to inspect their roofs by keeping safety in mind as soon as possible. If you do not have any experience carrying out roof inspections and repairs, contact a reputable roofing company. A patch of exposed asphalt will deteriorate immediately from UV radiation.
This will lead to potential leaks and water damage that requires costly repairs. Once you have inspected the roof either yourself or through the help of a professional, file a claim with the insurance company. The roofing company you hire will assist in getting a fair settlement for the damages sustained because of the hailstorm.
Protecting Your Roof From Damage
Let’s look at some preventive measures that can help reduce the risk and intensity of damage to your property.
Use Impact-Resistant Materials
- If your home is situated in an area susceptible to hailstorms and your roof has already sustained significant damage that needs addressing, upgrade to a new roof with impact-resistant materials.
Impact-resistant shingles have rubber-like characteristics that help protect the roof from hail and high winds. Asphalt, resin, plastic, aluminum, or copper are some of the impact-resistant materials used for making shingles.
Cut Trees And Remove Shrubs
- Tree limbs and shrubs not only damage the roof but provide an easy passage for squirrels and insects to crawl onto the rooftop from nearby trees.
This can create another set of problems when animals set up a home on the roof or find a hole to get inside your home. It is, therefore, a good idea to cut or trim trees and shrubs that extend out towards your roof.
Be Prepared For The Storm
- Hailstorms along with strong winds are powerful enough to blow windows out of their frames and unhinge doors. This sends debris flying into the air and if it falls on the roof it causes serious damage.
It is advisable to check doors and windows to make sure they are secure enough to withstand the storm.
Install Storm Shutters
- Installing storm shutters can help prevent the overall damage to your property by safeguarding against glass damage. From aluminum shutters, roll down and accordion shutters to more aesthetically pleasing Bahama shutters, you have several options. Consulting a local installer can help you select the best type of storm shutter for your home, in accordance with your budget.
Covering the windows with plywood before the storm hits can also prevent a lot of damage. The possibility of damage from hail, flying debris, and strong winds can be greatly reduced by properly installing well-made storm shutters.
Sign-Up For Insurance Policy
- Signing up for comprehensive insurance policies can make things easier when it comes to protecting and repairing roof damage. These policies are affordable and offer protection against hail and severe weather damage. Insurance policies are supposed to safeguard the structure of your home and belongings.
If you are looking for roofing solutions and home improvement services, contact Simple Home Improvements. Our expert professionals take special care to deliver only the best services to our clients. Call us at 877-425-5518. Our dedicated team has years of experience on hand. We are located in New Jersey.