Top exterior experts reveal 6 factors that impact the durability of vinyl siding
Vinyl sidings are extremely popular due to their versatile design, low cost, and amazing durability. However, they can still get damaged due to a variety of factors. In this article, we take a look at the 6 factors that can impact the durability of your vinyl siding. Read more below.
Exposure To The Sun
- The UV rays present in the sunlight can cause the vinyl siding to warp, melt and fade. This is very prominent in areas that experience sunny days for the most part of the year. The constant depletion of the OZone layer has also been contributing to the damage too. As a homeowner, if you notice the melting and warping of your vinyl sidings then you should get them repaired immediately. It is a good idea to talk to the siding manufacturer about your warranty.
Most newer vinyl sidings contain titanium dioxide, which works like a sun-block for the siding. It shields the vinyl sidings from the harmful rays of the Sun, increases durability, and the life of the sidings. If you live in a particularly sunny area, then you should definitely install sidings that have titanium dioxide.
Hot & Cold Climate
- Expansion and contraction of materials due to cold and hot temperatures is a normal phenomenon. It is the same case with vinyl sidings. Although if the temperature changes abruptly, and if your area experiences extreme temperatures then it can take a toll on the life of your vinyl sidings. Irregular contraction and expansion affect the structure and integrity of the sidings.
Extreme high temperatures can cause the siding to melt, whereas extreme cold temperatures can cause it to crack and snap. In order to minimize the effect of climate on your sidings, you can talk to the manufacturer about any special sidings.
- Regular maintenance actually helps you save a lot of money on siding repairs and replacements. Maintenance helps you spot problems early on, and allows you to take remedial actions before the problem worsens.
A regularly cleaned siding looks better and its color lasts longer. Most people use a power washer but it is not advised as it can damage the siding. Similarly, some cleaning liquids have chemicals that can accelerate the damage. Therefore, it is highly recommended to hire a professional company for maintenance and cleaning services.
Normal Wear & Tear
- Normal wear and tear can also affect the life and durability of a siding. Normal wear tear also includes sports ball impacts, hail, snow, strong winds, and climatic conditions.
When selecting a vinyl siding, it is important to make sure that you consider normal wear and tear. If you buy the cheapest option available in the market, it will definitely not last very long.
Vinyl Siding Brand
- Selecting the right vinyl siding brand is of the utmost importance when one considers their durability. There is a lot of variety when it comes to brands, and each brand specializes in one special quality which they promote when selling their sidings. Different brands also have different warranty terms and conditions.
When selecting a vinyl siding brand, always consider its extra features such as weatherproofing, sun-proofing, insulation, warranty, costs, and appearance.
Vinyl Siding Grade
- Selecting the right vinyl grade can save you a lot of money, and give you a host of benefits. Although the grade is determined by its actual width, manufacturers use a variety of ways to describe it.
Some of the vinyl siding grades available in the market include builder’s grade, thin residential grade, standard residential grade, and premium grade.
If you are worried about the durability of your sidings, then give us a call at 877-425-5518. We, at Simple Home Improvements, are a home renovation and vinyl siding specialist company operating in New Jersey. Our experts will help you make sure your siding lasts a very long time.