Here is the list of factors to consider while choosing a door for your home
Doors play a huge role in determining a house’s overall impression and curb appeal. When choosing the right door for your home, durability, maintenance, appearance, and budget should be considered. Therefore, selecting the door can be a complex task. We have listed five critical factors to consider when choosing a door.
Appearance And Design
- The look and design of a door are crucial factors to consider when choosing a door for your home. Doors come in various shapes and sizes, including plain, paneled, or carved doors. However, before selecting a door, analyze the architecture and type of your home. The door size should align with the type and dimensions of the house. While plain doors look sophisticated, paneled or carved doors enhance the beauty of your home.
- The paneled doors are perfect for vintage homes or farmhouses. Manufacturing these doors requires intricacy of detail and a high cost of labor. For this reason, paneled doors are becoming outdated.
- Carved doors add an aesthetic touch and elegance to a home and are ideal for antique-looking homes. Carved doors are expensive and may not be within reach of every homeowner.
- Flush doors made of engineered wood with veneer or laminates are more popular these days. The availability of various laminates and veneers widens the choices.
- Another essential factor to consider while selecting a door is its size. It should correspond to human dimensions as well as the house’s size and shape, the rooms’ height, and the items expected to pass through that door. The size, shape, and purpose are the essential points that should be considered while selecting a door.
It is advisable to allow the professionals to select all the doors’ size and dimensions. In addition, the breadth and height of the door should align with the size and height of the space in which you decide to install it. Moreover, check if the width of the door facilitates easy movement of furniture, large appliances, etc.
Properties Of Door
Look for the following properties while selecting the material for the door:
- Strength and durability
- Fire resistance
- The cost of maintenance and repairs
- Heat insulation
- Resistance to water and chemicals
Durability Of Door
- The service life and durability are essential to consider when choosing any material for the door. Wooden and fiberglass doors are highly durable and have a relatively long lifespan. On the other hand, PVC and flush doors have a limited lifespan and last about 10 to 25 years.
Strength And Safety
- A big house is vulnerable to intrusions. If the windows are well-selected and secure, front and back doors can serve as potential entry points for burglars. The door you select should be firm and secure enough to withstand external attacks. The material of the door should not be hollow or prone to pore formation. In addition, the latches and built-in locks should be of superior quality.
Regarding security, steel, wood, and fiberglass entry doors are equally strong. However, the locking mechanism helps determine the level of protection. It is better to select a door with a deadbolt that’s at least one inch long and has a reinforced metal strike plate. However, modern locking systems come with a keyless entry through a smartphone or a keypad.
If you’re ready to update your home with a new entry door, contact Simple Home Improvements today. We’ll explain all your options and provide a free estimate to help you get started. For more information, call 877-425-5518 or visit us in Totowa, NJ.