Read on to learn crucial information you need to be aware of before starting a roofing project
Roof replacement is a challenging project. It is overwhelming to decide where to begin and which steps to follow to ensure the project’s success. Therefore, it is crucial to plan your roofing project and consider all the essential factors before you get started. Read on to find out which factors can help you minimize the risk of potential roofing problems.
Consider Cost and Timeline
- The most important factor to consider before undertaking a roofing project is your budget and timeline. This will act as a guiding factor for the project and will affect every decision you make. The cost of a commercial roofing project is determined by the roof’s size, materials, and whether you want to replace an old roof or install a new one. For instance, if you want to install a single-ply membrane roof, the cost per square foot will be different than if you are replacing an old roof.
Since commercial roofing work varies according to the contractors and certain other factors, the timeline will mostly depend on the roof size. However, generally, if the weather does not interfere, a commercial roofing project is completed within 2-3 weeks on average.
Experience Of The Roofing Contractors
- It is crucial to choose the right roofing contractor for your roof. It is best to go for a local contractor with years of experience in similar projects. Ask for references and see a portfolio of their past work to ensure that they are suitable for your project. Professional roofing contractors should provide detailed consultation and even free estimates.
One sign of the right contractors is that they break down the job in great detail so that it becomes easier for you to understand. They also provide a rough estimate of the materials needed, the number of men required for the job, the type of work, as well as a general timeline of the project. It is advisable to hire licensed and insured commercial roofing contractors.
Selection Of The Roofing System
- The roofing contractors you hire help you with roofing system selection. But before you go into any consultation, it is better to have knowledge of the most versatile commercial roofing systems available. These include:
- The built-up roof has been around for a long while. Since it is a foolproof roofing system, It’s hard to go wrong with built-up roofs. It consists of several layers of seamless roofing fabric that are layered on top of each other.
These are topped with gravel that helps reflect the sun’s rays. Asphalt is used to adhere the layers to each other and with the roofing substrate. Built-up roofs are durable, last up to 30 years, and provide adequate waterproofing.
Modified Bitumen Roof
- Modified bitumen roofing systems are pretty similar to built-up roofs in the sense that they are layered. These are a type of asphalt that is super flexible and strong. The flexible nature of these roofs allows them to contract and expand with temperature changes without cracking.
In addition, modified bitumen roofs can withstand heavy foot traffic and harsh weather without damage. This combination of strength and flexibility makes them one of the prevalent roofing systems.
- Single-ply roofing membranes are another well-known roofing systems that come in rolls. These membranes are applied with an adhesive or seam welding. They offer superior weather protection because they are virtually seamless. This makes them ideal for areas that receive heavy rainfall throughout the year. Single-ply membranes do not add pressure to the existing structure and are relatively simple to install.
If you need roofing services, contact Simple Home Improvements. Our experts will help you with all your roofing repair and maintenance needs. Call us at 877-425-5518. We are located in New Jersey.